Beat Drop’s DJ C-Sik is Calgary’s Red Bull Thre3style Champion
This past weekend, our very own DJ C-Sik was crowned champion in the Calgary regional Red Bull Thre3style. This unique DJ competition gives DJ’s 15 minutes to perform their best party-rocking set with only one rule - their song selection must cover a minimum of three musical genres. Former Thre3style world champions DJ Hedspin (Vancouver) and Four Color Zack (Seattle) were in the house judging the competitors based on the following criteria:
- 20% Originality of Track Selection (White Labels, Edits, Own Routines, Dubplates)
- 30% Creativity of mixing (Composition, Blends, Note Play, Word Play)
- 30% Technicality of mixing (Cutting, Scratching, Juggling, etc.)
- 10% Stage Presence
- 10% Crowd Response
This year's competitors represented an extremely talented and experienced group of DJ's, some with over 15 years experience in the game. They included:
1. DJ Reece - former Edmonton DMC Champ, resident DJ at the Hifi Club on Fridays (and reppin for females worldwide!)
2. DJ Roy LT - resident DJ at Commonwealth in Calgary for Modern Vintage Saturdays (downstairs)
3. Jimmi Riggz - DMC and King Of The Dot DJ battle competitor
4. Ivan Rankic - last year's Red Bull Thre3style Prairies champ, resident DJ at the Hifi Club for Hai Karate Thursdays and at Commonwealth for Modern Vintage Saturdays (upstairs)
5. Kato - former Calgary Red Bull Thre3style champ, long-time DMC competitor
6. DJ Heebz - resident DJ at Commonwealth for Wonder Years Thursdays and Modern Vintage Saturdays (upstairs w/ Ivan Rankic)
7. Flexxx - four-time Stylus DJ Award nominee
8. DJ C-Sik - more about him here
Everyone brought their A-game on a night where the crowd was treated to a myriad of musical stylings that included house, rap, trap, dancehall, rock and even some good old fashioned 90’s pop from DJ Heebz.
The quality of competition and depth of talent that night was further proof that the DJ’s in Calgary are truly some of the best in the country. Despite routines that were both crowd-pleasing and extremely technical by eventual second and third place DJ Heebz and Ivan Rankic, C-Sik pulled off the win with his crazy set that included a broad melange of genres: He started with a blend of house and breaks in the 130-140 BPM range, which allowed for a smooth transition to trap (at about half that speed). Then with a drop transition C-Sik brought the beats back to around 90 BPM to play reggae, drum'n'bass and hip-hop, and ended it off with a crowd-pleasing blend of Lenny Kravtiz's Always on the Run guitars over Drake's current banger Started from the Bottom. All that, mixed in with some of that DMC-honed beat-juggling and scratching; fast, clean mixes and that stage presence that has become a C-Sik signature, and you've got a winning set!
Fellow Beat Drop instructor Kyle Morgan assisted C-Sik in the weeks leading up to the competition by helping with some of the behind-the-scenes technical aspects of his set. C-Sik had a few ideas that would have been too difficult to pull off with originals so Kyle helped with some Ableton Live editing of tracks and transitions, as well as adjusting levels on the edits so that everything would sound pitch perfect when played live on a club sound system. Great work Kyle and C-Sik!
C-Sik will be representing Calgary at the Canadian Red Bull Thr3style Championships right here in Calgary on October 6. The competition will be held at Cowboys Nightclub and include performances by Smalltown DJ’s, Hedspin, Four Color Zack, Skratch Bastid and the legendary A-Trak. We’d love to see you down there supporting C-Sik as he tries to bring the national title home to Calgary for the first time in Thre3style history. For more info check the Facebook event here, or the Red Bull Thr3style website.
Written by Josephine Cruz (blog)